Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operations (MHKO)
Lake County Environmental Health will be taking applications for the Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operations (MHKO) starting January 4th, 2021. The MHKO program is a special food program designed to encourage small business owners in the food operations industry. Special rules and allowances have been created for the MHKO owner which should allow them to prepare and sell food from their home. These activities have traditionally been limited to commercial operations, which can be very expensive and difficult to start up. To learn more about the requirements and limitations of the program, please read the Lake County MHKO Ordinance 3099 (PDF) or call us at the number listed to the right.
To apply for the MHKO program, please review the applications (links provided below the Fee section) as well as the Lake County Ordinance. There are two applications required. A Plan Check application is required and will be used by an Environmental Health Specialist to determine if the Operator qualifies to conduct business under this program and that all conditions provided in the ordinance have been met. A permit application is required once the operator has been approved to participate. A permit to operate will not be issued until an initial inspection is completed and compliance with the lake county ordinance is confirmed.
The fees for applications are listed below:
- Plan Check Application: $135.00 / hour. A minimum of 1 hour will be collected at the time the application is received. Additional time will be billed in 15-minute increments should it prove necessary. The Plan Check is a one-time, initial cost.
- Annual Permit Fee: $269 – The annual Permit will be issued from January 1st to December 31st of each calendar year.
- No refunds will be issued for fees paid.
- Lake County Microenterprise Home Kitchen Operation Ordinance 3099 (PDF)
- MEHKO FAQ (PDF)
- MEHKO New Application Packet (PDF)
- MEHKO Standard Operating Procedures (PDF)
- Permit Application (PDF)
- Plan Check Application (PDF)
- Property Owner Acknowledgement (Required for Renters) (PDF)
- Water Requirements for MEHKO (PDF)