CCW Application Process
Part I - CCW Application Submission
- Fill out the CCW application in its entirety. Sign pages 3 and 14 but do not sign page 10 as this will be done at the interview;
- Obtain all documents required to accompany the application:
- A copy of your California Driver’s License;
- A copy of your birth certificate;
- A copy of your Social Security card;
- Any CCW permits from other states or counties;
- A copy of any records associated with an arrest or detention (during your lifetime);
- A copy of a utility bill or any other service billed to your Lake County physical street address;
- A copy of your DD214 Military Service record (Honorable Discharge Only), if applicable;
- A standard minimum size 3” X 5” standard color photo for the file.
- Department of Motor Vehicles printout.
- Return completed application, required documents & 3 X 5 standard color photo to the Sheriff’s Substation in Lucerne at 6222 E Hwy 20, or mail to PO Box 489, Lakeport CA 95453.
Once your application has been reviewed and accepted by the Sheriff’s Office, you will proceed to “Part II” of the CCW application process.
Part II - Live Scan & Interview
- At the completion of the required local and county background checks, you will be mailed instructions for securing your Live Scan;
- Make an appointment with Sgt. Townsend at the Alternative Work Program Building to have your fingerprints taken. The fingerprint fee is $20.00, payable to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office;
- Submit the $100.00 Live Scan (Department of Justice and F.B.I.) fingerprint fee. The fee may be paid in cash, check, or money order. Checks or money orders shall be made payable to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office;
- Retain the “Applicant” copy of the Live Scan Form and submit that copy to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office for your file;
- Once the results of your fingerprint submission have been returned to the Sheriff’s Office by the DOJ and FBI, you will be notified by the Sheriff’s Office once interviews have been scheduled.
Once you have completed the interview process and the Sheriff has approved your application for a Concealed Weapons Permit, you will proceed to “Part III” of the application process.
Part III - Basic Firearms Safety (BFS) Course
- Schedule the Basic Firearms Safety (BFS) Course. You will be notified in writing when the 16-hour BFS course will be offered by the Sheriff’s Office.
- Submit $106.00 for the BFS Course and permit fee to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office prior to attending the course.
- Complete the BFS Course. If you complete a 16-hour BFS Course that was not given by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office, you will still need to qualify your weapon(s) at the Lake County Sheriff’s range.
- NOTE: You must complete the Lake County Sheriff’s BFS Course unless:
- You have successfully completed a California Basic Peace Officer Academy;
- You have successfully completed a PC 832 / Firearms course;
- You have successfully completed a California DOJ certified 16-hour BFS Course that has been approved by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office.
Part IV - Pick Up Your CCW Permit
Pick up your CCW permit within 60 days of completing the BFS Course. Your CCW permit will be valid for a term of 2 years (unless you are issued a Judicial or Custodial CCW.) You will be notified in writing by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office when your permit is up for renewal and a 1-day renewal course will be offered.
CCW ContactsBillie Anderson, CCW Permits
Fax: (707) 274-2999
Lieutenant Brian Kenner
Fax: (707) 262-4200
The Official Site for the Lake County, California Sheriff's Office ©2011 Lake County Sheriff
This County of Lake Website contains hypertext links to external websites. The County of Lake is not responsible for the subject matter or accessibility of these external websites, and the County does not endorse any entity or product for which a link may be provided. External links are provided as a convenience for users of this site. Once you leave the County of Lake Website via a link to an external site, the County of Lake Privacy & Security Policies no longer apply.